I am a big fan of flavored rice and so does Amma. We try to make different variety of rice almost every week and today was no exception. I had some frozen Nellikkai/Gooseberries ( fresh is even better, I used the frozen since we do not get fresh ones) and made rice with it for today`s lunch.
Nellikkai/Gooseberries seasoned with mild spices makes it a flavorful rice for all who like Gooseberries.
Nellikkai/ Gooseberries provides remedies for many diseases so it is widely used in ayurvedic medicines. Gooseberry is very rich in Vitamin C. It contains many minerals and vitamins like Calcium, Phosphorus, Iron, Carotene and Vitamin B Complex. It is also a powerful antioxidant agent.
Prep time: 20 min
Cook time:10 min
Cook time:10 min
List Of Ingredients:
For the Rice:
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups nellikkai/gooseberries approx 12 big ones
- 4 green chillies
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- juice of 2 lime (I used key lime)
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon ullutham paruppu/broken urad dhal
- 4 green chillies slit
- Few curry leaves
- A pinch asafoetida
- 2 tablespoon oil
- Soak rice in water for half an hour. Cook the rice until done~each grain has to be separate. Let it cool
- Mince the Nellikkai/Gooseberries with green chillies in a mixer. Keep aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoon of oil in a kadai/pan. Add the mustard and when it splutters, add 1/2 teaspoon ullutham paruppu, asafoetida, turmeric, green chillies and curry leaves.
- Add the Nellikkai mix salt and saute for about 3 to 4 minutes. Add this to the rice.
- Add lime juice and mix gently so as not to break the rice.
Serve hot with potato fry, appalam/papad or potato chips.
Tips: Cashews are optional. Roasted peanuts can be used instead. I have used basmati rice. Adjust green chillies according to your spice levels.