Murungai Keerai Poriyal is an easy and most nutritious preparation. Kootu Sambar and poriyal are the usual preparations made with Murungai Keerai back home. The keerai with mild seasoning and some paruppu/dhal makes it a great combination with Sambhar and rice.
I had a big bunch of Murungai Keerai which our friend gave us and I could not resist the fresh tender leaves and made the poriyal instantly. I have some more that I am planning to make Adai with.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 10 min
- 2 cups murungai keerai/Drumstick/Moringa leaves
- ¼th cup grated coconut
- ¼th cup cooked Paruppu/Tuar dhal
- ½ teaspoon Sambhar podi OR 4 red chillies
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- ½teaspoon ullutham paruppu/urid dhal
- a pinch asafoetida
- Heat oil in a kadai/pan and add mustard seeds, when they splutter add the ullutham paruppu and let them turn a light brown
- Add the asafoetida nad murungai keerai/leaves and stir fry for for few seconds ( not more than few seconds else the leaves will turn bitter)
- Add about ¼th cup of water. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Now add the Sambhar powder and salt, when the moisture is completely absorbed add the dhal and grated coconut and mix well till dry. If red chillies are preferred add during the seasoning.
TIPS: Cook the dhal till half done. You do not want to use fully cooked dhal and make the Poriyal a mushy one. Green chillies can be substituted for red chillies or Sambhar powder.