I like the varuval over the poriyal to have with rice and Sambar because it is dry and spicy and pairs well with Sambar or Mor kuzhambu. This recipe of Vazhaikkai varuval is a regular at our home.
Coconut and fennel is ground along with chilli powder and cooked with Vazhaikkai and fried to perfection.The coconut when fried on low heat along with the Vazahikkai imparts a nice aroma and flavor.
Prep time: 15 min
Cook time: 30 min
- 4 cups sliced Vazhaikai/ Raw Plantain
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- 7 to 8 curry leaves
- 3 teaspoon chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons oil
- salt to taste
- ¼ cup grated coconut
- ½ teaspoon sombu/fennel
- Heat oil in a kadai/pan and add the oinions and curry leaves. Saute well until transparent
- Now add the Vazhaikai and saute well for few seconds. To this add the salt and rest of the powders.
- Then add the ground coconut, mix well and add 1/4 cup water and bring to a boil. Close and simmer for 5 minutes or until the Vazhaikai is cooked.
- Mix well and simmer for another 10 minutes, stirring occassionaly and serve with rice.
TIPS: Increase or decrease Chilli powder according to your taste. I have used sombu/Fennel, you could use cumin if you prefer.