Roti and Dhal is one of my favorite combination when it comes to making an easy simple meal. Methi is a favorite green that I use a lot in my cooking. I either use the fresh leaves or the dried leaves(Kasuri Methi). It gives a great flavor to any dish and nutritious too.Most North Indian recipes that I prepare were learnt from from our Punjabi neighbors and this again is her infuence for an easy recipe and a great tasting side dish for Rotis. When asked for this recipe I remember her mentioning to just cook the Dhal and the greens and some spices I like. I have used Masooor Dhal instead of the Toor Dhal.
- 3 cups finely chopped Methi/Fenugreek leaves
- ¾th cup Masoor Dhal
- 5 to 6 green chillies
- 2 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- ½ tomato
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Cook the dhal along with rest of the ingredients except the greens and cumin.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a kadai/pan and add the greens and sauté until they whittle. Add the cooked dhal to it. Bring it to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Finally season the cumin in a teaspoon of ghee and add to the dhal. Add salt and serve.