The simplest recipes are the ones that I crave for after feasting a heavy festival food that we had for Pongal. I made this simple Avarakkai Varuval for our lunch today to go with Rice and Rasam. Coconut and fennel adds flavor to the beans and this spicy varuval can be had with Rotis too. The only difficult part is the cleaning and cutting of the beans and I had them already cut so it took me just 10 minutes to make it.
- 3 cups finely chopped Avarakkai/Broad Beans
- ½ cup finely chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons oil
- salt to taste
- ½ cup grated coconut
- ½ teaspoon sombu/fennel
- Heat oil in a kadai/pan and add the oinions and saute well until transparent
- Now add the beans and saute well for few seconds. To this add the salt and rest of the powders.
- Then add the ground coconut, mix well and add 1/4 cup water and bring to a boil. Close and simmer for 5 minutes or until the beans is cooked.
- Mix well and simmer for another 3 to 5 minutes and serve with Rice or Rotis.
TIPS: Increase or decrease Chilli powder according to your taste. I have used sombu/Fennel, you could use cumin if you prefer.