Its been a while since I last posted, the reasons could be many but I just made excuses for myself. I thank my readers for reminding me of CILANTRO otherwise my hibernation would have continued for long.
Today`s recipe is Okra/Bhindi/Vendakkai with a light gravy consisting of yogurt and spices. I love making a decent tasting side dish for Rotis with almost all vegetables. Its easy and my family loves having them with some yogurt and fresh sliced onions. It is a satisfying meal especially when Rotis are served hot right from the stove.
- 4 cups Okra
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup yogurt/curd
- 8 to 10 cashews
- 2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala ( MTR brand )
- 1 teaspoon kasuri Methi
- Wash the Okra and pat dry all the moisture ( wipe with cloth or paper towel ). Cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Heat a tablespoon oil in a kadai/pan and add the cut okra. Sauté well until it turns crisp and looses it sliminess. Set aside.
- Dry roast cashews and grind to a fine paste with little curd.
- Heat another 2 tablespoons oil in a heavy bottomed vessel, add the onions and sauté for five minutes until they turn soft and translucent.
- Now add all the powders, cashew paste and yogurt. Bring to a boil and simmer for few minutes until oil separates.
- Now add the okra and the tomatoes. Mix well and lastly add the kasuri methi.
Serve with warm rotis along with sliced onions.
TIPS: Cashews are optional. Adjust chilli powder according to your spice level.