This is another side dish for rotis that my family enjoys. Made with a combination of five lentils/ Dhals and lightly spiced, the mild coriander flavor is balanced by the rich-tasting creamy textured gravy. Serve with warm rotis with a drizzle of ghee. It is yet another dish that I learnt from my cooking class.
Amma makes it more often than me and in fact asked why I have not yet posted the recipe here @ CILANTRO. She follows my blog regularly and gives her valuable comments, criticisms, tips and of course tries my recipes and gives her feedback on those too.
- ¼ cup Tuar Dhal
- ¼ cup Masoor Dhal
- ¼ cup split Green gram
- ¼ cup Bengal gram
- ¼ cup Urid Dhal Dhal
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric
- ½ teaspoon Cumin
- 4 Green chillies finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped Ginger
- 1 cup finely chopped Onions
- 2 cups finely chopped Tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds crushed
- 2 to 3 whole Red chillies
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- 2 tablespoons cream
- a pinch Asafoetida
- 1 teaspoon Kasuri Methi
- fresh cut Cilantro & few julienned Ginger
- Wash all the dhals and pressure cook along with turmeric until the dals are cooked. When cool open the lid and mash the dhals.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed vessel, add cumin,green chilies and ginger.Then add the onions and sauté for five minutes until they turn soft and translucent.
- Now add the chopped tomato and sauté until the masala is well combined and all the tomatoes are soft. Simmer for few minutes until oil separates.
- Add the pressure cooked dhals along with salt and combine. Add water if necessary. Now add the garam masala, cream and asafoetida.
- Heat oil/ghee in a small pan, add the crushed coriander seeds and immediately the red chilies. Add it to the Dhal and mix well.
- Finally add chopped coriander leaves, kasuri methi and julienned ginger. Serve with warm rotis.