Achari Murgh is a spicy chicken with all the ingredients involved in making Achar (pickle). When I say pickle it refers to the North Indian style. Usually the process of making pickle is the same in both the southern and northern parts with just the difference in ingredients. Chicken is marinated and spiced with mustard, fenugreek, red chillies, saunf and all other ingredients in making pickle.
I have had the opportunity of having North Indian dishes from our Punjabi neighbors and aunty was kind enough to teach me patiently as she thought I had an interest in cooking at an early age ( I was 15 then). From her I have learnt to make Rotis and some very simple yet flavorful side dishes for Rotis. On her advice I went for a cooking class which taught me some North Indian recipes. Achari Chicken is one of the recipe I learnt from the class.
It is a little different tasting chicken dish with all the flavors from the mustard and fenugreek. Give it a try and you will know the difference.
- 5 lb ( appox 2.25 Kg) Chicken cut into bite size pieces
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 4 tablespoon yogurt/curd
- 4 tablespoon oil
- Fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Kasuri methi
- Salt to taste
- 20 nos Red chillies
- 2 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 1teaspoon Fenugreek seeds/vendhayam
- ½ teaspoon Sombu/aniseed
- 1teaspoonCumin seeds/seeragam
- 2 teaspoon Onion seeds (kalonji)/ vengaya vedhai
- 6 cloves
- Clean and wash the chicken and marinate with yogurt, turmeric, chilli powder and salt.
- Dry grind the red chillies, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, onion seeds and cloves separately.
- Heat the oil in a kadai /pan and add the mustard and when they splutter, add the onions and sauté until soft. Add the ginger and garlic and continue to sauté for few seconds.
- Now add the ground masala and saute well for few seconds and immediately add the tomatoes and saute until it turns soft an forms a thick gravy. Pressure cook up to three whistles.
- Heat up some oil in a wide pan and saute the chicken until all the masala is absorbed and it becomes dry and oil starts to seperate.
- To this add the pressure cooked masala and water if required, bring to a boil and simmer on low heat for about 5 minutes. Finally add finely cut cilantro and kasuri methi.
Serve with Rice, Rotis or Nan.
TIPS: I have used normal cooking oil ( corn oil ) you could use mustard for the true authentic taste. Substitute redchillies with 2 teaspoon chilli powder. The above mentioned quantity serves approx 4 families.
Also watch this VIDEO for an easy & interesting way to make Achari Murgh.