Malai Jamun is a slight variation of the delicious Gulab Jamun. Jamuns are first soaked in sugar syrup and then dunked in malai. A combination of condensed milk, evaporated milk & whole milk lets our ever popular Jamun soak up in the flavored milk for a creamy texture.
I have had this on aboard a Jet Airways flight and I wanted to try this ever since. I personally prefer MTR brand for making jamuns when I choose the ready mix option or you could also follow my recipe here for making Jamuns with Kowa/Khoya.
I was a little skeptical on making them for my daughters birthday but I am glad I did.
- 1 pack MTR Jamun Mix
- ½ can condensed milk (7 Oz)
- 1 can evaporated milk (12 Oz)
- 2 cups whole milk
- few saffron
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 2 drops rose essence
- Make jamuns as per the instruction on the pack. Make the sugar syrup, add the cardamom powder and a drop of rose essence.
To make Malai:
- Soak saffron in warm milk for about an hour
- Mix condensed, evaporated, whole milk and 1/4 cup sugar in a heavy bottomed pan. Bring to boil stirring constantly. Simmer on low heat for 5 minutes stirring constantly. Add cardamom powder and saffron. Finally add the rose essence and mix well.
To Serve :
- Remove Jamuns from the syrup. Arrange in a wide container good enough to hold all the Jamuns. Pour Malai over the Jamuns and refrigerate. Serve chilled.