Ribbon Pakoda/Olai Pakoda
One of my favorite Deepavali savories is Ribbon Pakoda. Much like many other Deepavali creations, Ribbon Pakoda calls for basic ingredients made into a dough with enough butter and deep fried to perfection~these crunchy savory tastes ingeniously flavorful...
Today`s recipe is a very simple version that Amma makes regularly. Athai adds a different touch each time with different combination of spices, her best among them was the shallots,black pepper and garlic combo.
List of ingredients:
- 2 cups Kadalai mavvu/ Besan flour
- 1 cup Arisi mavvu/ Rice flour
- 3 teaspoon Chilli Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1½ cups water
- Oil for deep frying
- Seive the dry ingredients for the dough. In a vessel combine the mixture, butter and add add the water slowly to make a soft dough or like chappati dough, soft enough that it can be pressed through easily with the ribbon pakoda achu/press.
- Heat oil in a kadai. Test by dropping a pinch of dough into it - if it sinks, the oil hasn't become hot enough. If the dough springs to the top with bubbles all around it, then the oil is just ready. Now take the dough and put the mixture in ribbon pakoda achu/press. Holding the press about the oil,squeeze directly into hot oil in a big circle starting at the outer circle and ending towards the center to form a single layer~ do not clutter them.
- When the bubbles reduces, flip the pakoda using two slotted spoons. Remove when the the bubbles reduces completely. Drain on to a kitchen towel/paper towel.
- Repeat the process till the rest of the dough is done.
- Cool completely and break them into pieces as shown and store in an air tight container.
TIPS: Adjust the quantity of chilli powder according to your preference. The dough should be of right consistency. You should be able to press into oil with little effort. If too hard to press sprinkle some water to the dough, mix well and press into oil.
Ribbon pakoda~My entry for Lavi`s Diwali Sweets & Snacks event.