We all have favorite recipes, our own personal comfort foods nobody can make like our mothers~from delicious desserts, perfect Idlis, Biriyani and the best tasting Rasam.
Some of the dishes Amma made came from old recipes and Rasa Podi/ Rasam Powder is one such recipe which she never dared to alter. She seemed to know just how to make a great tasting Rasam and it always turned out perfect. I have never been able to recreate the magic myself and I have just been following her recipe sincerely.
Unlike Sambar podi, Rasa Podi/ Rasam Powder is made fresh and when stored for a long time loses its freshness and aroma. I make them to last for a month. Following is Amma`s recipe of her Rasa Podi/ Rasam Powder.
- 4 cups Red Chillies/Vara Millagai
- 2 cups Coriander/Vara Kothamalli/Dhania
- 1 cup Bengal gram/Kadalai paruppu/Channa dhal
- 1/2 cup Pepper/Milagu
- 1/2 cup Cumin
- 1 tablespoon Asafoetida/Perungayam
- Sun dry the Pepper and Cumin OR lightly dry roast and set aside.
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a kadai/pan and stir fry the other ingredients, each separately except the Asafoetida. Remove the red chillies once they are well coated with the oil. Make sure not to burn them. Remove the dhal when it starts to turn into a light color.
- When cool grind to a coarse powder ( Like rawa consistency as shown in the picture)
- Mix in the Asafoetida. Combine well and store in airtight containers.