I love shopping at the local Vietnamese stores called Viet-Wah for some fresh vegetables like the Murungai keerai/Moringa Leaves, Vazhai Poo and most Indian vegetables and also for some fresh seafood. Most often they carry the Vazhai Poo and I can never resist buying then although preparing them for cooking is a big hassle.Vazhai Poo kootu is a tradional Tamil recipe with a unique taste which only some could relish. Some great tasting and healthy recipes involves elaborate preparations and Vazhai Poo kootu is no exception. Add some light seasoning to the cooked Vazhai poo and lentils for a simple lunch with rice and appalam.
List of ingredients:
- 1 Vazhai poo/ Banana Flower
- 1/2 cup Thuvaram Paruppu/Thur Dhal.
- 1 tablespoon grated coconut
For Seasoning :
- 1/2 teaspoon Mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Broken Ullutham paruppu/urid dhal .
- few curry leaves.
- 2 to 3 broken red chillies
- Prepare the Vazhai poo as shown here and finely chop the cleaned stamen like you would chop an onion.
- Immerse the chopped flower in a vessel with water mixed with a tablespoon of yoghurt/ curd. Repeat until all the flowers are chopped. Set aside for about 12 hrs. This process will remove the bitterness.
- Cook the paruppu/dhal with turmeric powder in a pressure cooker and keep aside.
- Heat 2 teaspoon of oil in a kadai/pan , add the mustard when it splutters, add the ullutham paruppu/urid dhal and when this turns light brown, add the red chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida and immediately add the chopped vazhai poo . Add 1/4 cup water and simmer until the vazhai poo is cooked. This should take about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Now add the the cooked paruppu/dhal .
- Add the grated coconut, salt and simmer for another 5 minutes before serving.
Serve with rice with little ghee, varuval and appalam .