Sambar Podi/Sambar Powder/Sambhar Powder/sambhar Podi/Podi/Powder/Sambhar/Sambar
Making Sambar Podi/Sambar Powder is almost a ritual in TamilNadu , involving a thorough understanding of spices, their quantities, and of frying and grinding them. A blend of fresh spices like Red Chillies, Coriander, Pepper, Lentils and Fenugreek are sun dried and powdered typically in a grinding mill to make an aromatic spice mixture. I usually rely on Amma`s Sambar podi to last for a year and when I run out of the Podi, I follow her recipe and grind them in small quantities in a mixer. Although lot of readymade options are available, nothing comes closer to the fresh aromatic homemade Sambar podi/powders.
I have been making tasty Sambar for my family and friends with great success ~a recipe from Amma to you.
- 1/2 Kg Red Chillies/Vara Millagai
- 1/2 Kg Coriander/Vara Kothamalli/Dhania
- 1 cup Bengal gram/Kadalai paruppu
- 1 cup Red gram/Thuvaram parupu/Toor dhal
- 1 cup Pepper/Milagu
- 1/2 cup Fenugreek/Vendhayam/Methi
- 1/4 cup Asafoetida/Perungayam/Hing
- 1/4 cup Turmeric Powder
- Sun dry the red chillies and set aside.
- Dry roast all the other ingredients, each separately except the Asafoetida and Turmeric powder.
- When cool grind to a fine powder.
- Mix in the Asafoetida and Turmeric powder. Combine well and store in airtight containers.