Pizza, as we know it today, is a bread crust covered with a tomato base and then flavored with other toppings.
Italian folklore claims that the first pizza was Italian, and it is certain that in ancient times the Greeks and Romans had a type of unleavened bread, topped with a flavor before being baked. We know from historical writings that the Greek pizza was merely vegetables, but the origin of the pizza in Italy was more sophisticated. It was topped with pork scraps, olives and the sweet desserts with honey, raisins and pine nuts. Some of those sweet dessert pizza recipes have been enshrined in pizza history and are still used in Italy today.
Italian immigrants brought pizza to America. Gennaro Lombardi made the first pizza In the US , when he opened the first pizzeria in New York City , in 1905. The restaurant was named Lombardi's Pizzeria Napoletana.
The first pizza restaurant in Chicago was called Pizzeria Uno and was run by Ike Sewell. Pizza history was made when he made the first deep dish pizza.
Pizza has barged into urban India as a major churner~a result of Globalisation in a nation driven by traditions. The Pizza has given the traditional Idli & Dosai a run for its money. Pizza Hut in India offers Kadai Chicken, Chicken Tikka Makhani Pizza as part of their menu to add a touch of spice and Indian floavor to the Pizza. Today`s recipe is the Indianised version of the traditional Pizza. I have made them with Soy Granules and favored with some Indian spice for a nice spicy cheesy Pizza.
This is my contribution to the event “Global Kadai-Indian Flavored Pizza @ Lovely Lavi of Home Cook Recipes.
- 1 Mini crust Pizza base
- 1/2 packet soy granules ( approx 100 gms )
- 1/4 cup onions
- 1/2 cup finely chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 4 to 5 green chillies finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- q/4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon meat masala
- few sliced green peppers
- few chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup cheese
- Prepare the Soy Granules as per the directions on the pack and set aside.
- Preheat the Oven to 450° F
- Heat about 2 tablespoon of oil in a Kadai/pan and sauté until translucent.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and saute well until the raw smell leaves.
- Now add the chopped green chillies and saute for few seconds.
- To this add all the powders and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Add the tomatoes and saute this until the tomatoes become soft.
- Mix in the squeezed Soy Granules and combine well.
- Apply Maggi Tomato chilli sauce over the Pizza crust and spread the prepared masala .
- Top them with sliced Green Bell peppers and finely chopped Cilantro, sprinkle the cheese and bake for 20 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
Tips: Minced chicken can be used instead of the soy granules, any tomato based sauce of your choice can be used or Pizza can be used. Add any toppings of your choice like olives, pineapple or Banana peppers. I have used the store bought Pizza crust. To make it from scratch click here.