Ragi/Kezhvaragu Vendhaya Keerai Adai~Finger Millet & Fenugreek/Adai
Rich in nutrients Ragi/Kezhvaragu and Fenugreek combine to give a rich and healthy Adai for breakfast. Always on the sidelines, Ragi is gaining popularity again. Always claimed as a poor mans diet, ragi is slowly getting back is much awaited recognition. I have always found ways to include them in our diet and Ragi Adai is one such attempt in including Ragi Flour.
I found fresh green fenugreek leaves at the Indian Grocery and I combined Ragi flour and few spices to make a great tasting crispy Adai for breakfast. Just serve them with pickle or ketchup for a filling and satisfying breakfast or brunch.~My contribution to JFI for Ragi event at Madhuram.
List of ingredients:
- 2 cups Ragi flour
- 2 cups finely chopped fenugreek/methi leaves
- 1 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped green chillies
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon asafoetida
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- Oil to make adai
- Mix all the ingredients with water to make a thick dough. Batter consistency should be thicker than the Dosa batter, like chappati dough consistency. You should be able to make a big ball with your hands before placing on the tawa. This batter does not need any fermentation.
- Heat a cast iron tawa/flat pan. Grease the tawa with oil.
- Typically adai is prepared by taking a handful of batter and spreading by lightly pressing with fingers over the tawa. Take care while pressing. Spread to the thickness shown.
- Add oil around the adai and cook on medium heat.
- Cook both sides till crisp.
Serve with a blob of butter, pickle,ketchup or coconut-cilantro chutney.