Barley & Tofu salad/Barley Salad/Tofu salad
Barleyis being researched for its ability to help alleviate diabetes, high cholesterol, and obesity. Some evidence suggests that barley in the diet may improve blood sugar levels in individuals with diabetes, possibly because the fiber in barley seeds delays stomach emptying and slows down the absorption of carbohydrates from foods. Like oatmeal, barley seeds contain both soluble and insoluble types of fiber that may help to lower cholesterol. Studies have shown that individuals with barley in their diet experienced reductions in their total cholesterol, LDL - the bad cholesterol, or triglyceride levels.
This healthful and comforting Barley salad with tofu, walnuts and cilantro in a lemon-garlic vinaigrette served with a cup of fresh-brewed coffee is perfect for a cool fall night.
List of Ingredients:
- 1/2 cup cooked barley
- 1/2 cup crumbled tofu
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- few lemon zest
- finely chopped cilantro
- salt and fresh ground pepper
- Cook the barley until tender ( do not over cook ).
- Dry roast the walnuts in a pan, when cool chop finely and keep aside.
- In another pan heat a teaspoon of oil and add the crumbled tofu and saute for about 5 minutes and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the lemon juice, olive oil, chopped onion, garlic, lemon zest, salt and pepper.
- Add the cooked barley, tofu and cilantro. Toss gently, add the toasted walnuts and serve.