Raw Plantain (Green) is called ‘Vazhaikkai’ in Tamil. Today’s recipe is a nicely roasted, dry masala dish with VazhaiKKai/plantains, stir fried with fresh coconut, ginger and garlic. Amma`s recipe for a nice flavorful side dish with a traditional Tamil lunch. I prepared Mulangi/ Radish sambhar and Vazhaikkai masala varuval for lunch today.
List of ingredients:
- VazhaiKKai/ Plantain ~about 16 pieces ( cut lengthwise into 4 as shown).
- ½ teaspoon ginger garlic paste.
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder.
- 1 ½ teaspoon chilli powder.
- 1 teaspoon salt.
- 1 tablespoon grated coconut .
- 2 tablespoon oil.
- Wash and boil VazhaiKKai/Plantain pieces till done. Do not overcook them. Overcooking may result in mushy VazhaiKKai. Strain and keep aside.
- Grind coconut. Mix in to the pieces along with other ingredients.
- Heat oil in kadai/pan. Add the pieces and fry until golden brown, stirring in between.
Serve as a side dish with a traditional Tamil lunch.