Milagu Kuzhambu ~ My contribution to Divya`s Think Spice-Think Pepper Event event created by Sunita.
Milagu Kuzhambu prepared with tamarind and pepper is a traditional classic Tamil dish, made with simple ingredients and served with hot steamed rice and Vathal/Appalam. I love this recipe for its simplicity and the spices involved. The sharp flavor of pepper balances out the tangy flavor of tamarind and the spices giving it an irresistible authentic flavor.
List of ingredients:
- 1 ½ tablespoon Whole Pepper
- 1 ½ tablespoon coriander seeds/dhania
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- ¼ teaspoon fenugreek
- ½ cup grated coconut
- 5 to 6 shallots
- 5 to 6 pods garlic
- 6 red chillies
- 1 big tennis ball size tamarind
- ½ teaspoon grated jaggery
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons Idhayam sesame oil/gingely oil.
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- Salt to taste
- Extract juice from the tamarind. Keep side.
- In a pan or kadai, heat a tablespoon of oil. Add the Pepper, coriander seeds/dhania, Cumin, fenugreek, shallots, garlic, red chillies and finally the grated coconut in the order given. When cool grind to a fine paste.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a heavy bottomed vessel. Add the mustard and when they splutter, add the ground masala, tamarind extract, turmeric powder and salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for five minutes.
Tips: Adjust red chillies and pepper according to your spice level.