Black Bean curry with aromatic spices is a simple flavorful curry. Dry roasted spices adds a distinctive flavor. Black Bean curry complements well for Rice as well as chappatis or for a twist top it up with finely cut onions and sev for a chat item. Black Bean curry with Chappatis ~A decent dinner to have on a warm day like the one we are having today.
List of ingredients :
- 4 cups black beans ( soaked and pressure cooked or canned ).
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 ½ teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon fenugeek
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds/ sombu
- ½ inch piece cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 ½ teaspoon chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated coconut ( optional )
- few curry leaves
- Salt to taste.
- 2 tablespoon oil
- In a kadai/pan, fry the coriander seeds, fennel/sombu, cumin, cinnamon and fenugreek until they pop. Remove and dry grind. Keep aside .
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a kadai/pan. Add mustard, curry leaves and allow to splutter and fry the onions till translucent.
- Then add ginger garlic paste, chilli powder, turmeric, salt and the ground masala. Sauté well and add the beans.
- Cook on low heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Add fresh grated coconut ( optional ). Garnish with fresh cilantro.
Serve with rice, chappati or puris with finely cut onions and lime wedges.