Gulab Jamun is a sweet dish made of a dough consisting mainly of milk solids, deep fried to a golden brown and soaked in sugar syrup flavored with cardamom, rosewater and saffron. It is similar to the Greek dessert Loukoumas.
Gulab Jamuns are an absolute delight when served warm or at room temperature, by itself or topped with ice cream.
Mixes and finished products are readily available in supermarkets and it is a convenient option but making it from scratch is worth the try.
List of ingredients:
- 1 cup khowa/khoya
- ½ cup maida/ all purpose flour
- ¼ tsp cooking soda (soda bi carbonate)
- 1 to 2 tbsps of milk
- enough ghee (clarified butter) for deep frying the jamuns
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 ½ cups water
- ¼ cardomom powder or few drops of rose syrup .
Preparation of Sugar Syrup:
- Mix 1 ½ cups of sugar to 2 cups of water in a vessel/cooking pot. Stir with a spoon on high heat for 10 to 15minutes until sugar is all dissolved in water. Simmer on low heat for another 5minutes.
- Add ¼ teaspoon cardomom powder or 3-4 cardamom pods, slightly crushed. Add the saffron and keep aside.
- Transfer this hot syrup into a serving dish ( which can hold all the soaked jamuns ). The syrup has to be warm when the fried jamuns are added.