- Cook all the vegetables in a pressure cooker. In the same pressure cooker cook the potatoes separately. When cooked, mash the vegetables and the potatoes. this should approximately come to 4 cups.
- Boil water in a vessel/pan, add the tomatoes to blanch. When water starts to boil and the skin peels out, drain and let them cool. When cool grind in a mixer.
- Grind the green chillies to a fine paste.
- In a kadai/pan, fry the onions in oil. When they turn transparent, add the green chilli and ginger garlic paste. Fry for few minutes. Now add turmeric,chilli, pav bhajji masala powders, salt and the pureed tomatoes. Fry this mixture until it gets thick or the raw smell goes.
- Now add the mashed vegetables, stir well for about 4 to 5 minutes and then add the mashed potatoes.
- Finally add the chopped capsicum/bell pepper, cumin powder and kasoori methi.
Serve hot pav lightly toasted in butter with some chopped onions and lime.
Tips: You could use as many vegetables as you wish, typically the above mentioned vegies are used.
I've used Kashmiri chilli powder to enhance the flavor and color of the dish. If you are using regular chilli powder, reduce the quantity to 1/2 a teaspoon.
Pav bread is easy to find in India in all bakeries and supermarkets. In US, I buy the Hawaiian sweet bread available at all American grocery stores. The bread in the picture was from the local Vietnamese store.
The above mentioned quantity serves four.
Pav Bhajji Masala.